Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Memento Mori

When I decided to start this blog, my aim was to focus on this going on in JP first, the New Orleans area second, and anything I found interesting third. I did/do not intend that this become a vehicle for sharing my personal life. I have no desire to bore you to death and must remain anonymous for work related reasons. This is the first, probably only, post to focus on me. Here goes...

Three weeks today, I learned that my sister had died. It was unexpected. She was younger than me at only 28. Makes me think about my own mortality. I've no guarantee as to how long I get to stick around here; I will try to make the most of it.

My birthday is in September. I found a birthday card in her apartment that I presume was meant for me. Her birthday would have been in November; I already bought her present. Weird... I don't know what I will do with that present. I feel somewhat attached to it, even though she never saw it, much less had it.

I wonder if my kids will remember her; they are only 5 and 1.5 years old. I don't remember being 5. I will have to help them remember.

My thanks to all my friends that have offered their support. I also thank my wife, for her I am eternally grateful. I know my parents read this blog and I thank them for raising my sister and I. They succeeded on both accounts.

I miss my sister very much.

2 comments:

Nola Blogger said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your sister.
Regards,
Nola Blogger

The German said...

Thank you Nola Blogger, I appreciate it.